Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Weekend Madness


Currently Justin and I are between Hickory and Raleigh every other weekend- thanks to the 3 acre piece of land we bought...the grass isn't going to cut itself.  (But Dads will! Thanks Terri and D'Neil for cutting our grass when we couldn't get down due to a broken mower and on call schedule).
It is fun to spend time at the new house and I really love it!
This weekend was jam packed with work and projects.  We took a huge load of stuff to Hickory (you can ask Laurie and Crosby who had to sit jammed in the back seat for half the ride home!)  and got that unloaded late Friday night.  Saturday morning we were up bright and early to meet with a fencing company about putting up fence at our house.  Laurie dropped off Crosby and her parent's dog Bear to come hang out with us because they were having guests that evening.

It was hard to get them all in one photo but I did it!


These two ran and ran and ran- they love the back yard!


 The rest of the day was spent on the riding mower while Justin weedeated the yard.  Then my parents came to help and Dad and I went off to get pool chemicals and mom took over my mowing job!  That evening we got showered up and headed to a party at Laurie's parents house!  It was fun to go and see their newly finished house and sit on the porch listening to live music. I could get used to a lifestyle like that!

The next morning we got up bright and early moved the bed to the guest room (where it ultimately will stay) and started mowing again. I got about 10 minutes in before the mower started sparking and smoking.  You should have seen my jump off that thing!  It turned out another spindle was toast- we had just replaced one that weekend.  Oh the joys of being a homeowner!  No one was injured other than the threat of throwing the mower down the hill....
Mowing was then not an option anymore so we took a break for lunch- mom made her famous noodle salad of which I think I ate the equivalent of my weight.


Then it was time to uncover the pool and cut down the wild cherry trees in the future pasture.  That is the problem with having a vet in the family- pretty much every tree is toxic to some kind of livestock but wild cherries are especially toxic to ruminants.  They have problems with the wilted leaves and as little as 2 oz can kill a cow.  I know I will have goats so Justin was elated when he heard these trees could go and he chainsawed the crap out of them. Mom and I loaded the truck and made a big pile- lots of wood for the fire pit once it dies!

We sat our exhausted butts in the car around 9pm and after dropping Crosby off we fell into bed and didn't move till the alarm went off.  We will be ready to not make that drive as regularly- Whew!

Beautiful (but dirty) pool- ready for all those lovely people helping us move!
Justin even took a break to hang our solar lights :)



No comments:

Post a Comment