Thursday, January 24, 2013

Happy Cows.....come from California?

So I have spent the last two weeks in California at a big dairy practice. When I mean big I mean that they have 16 veterinarians!!! Holy moly that is a lot of people.  I didn't know quite what to expect when I came but the office is beautiful and the living quarters are very cozy.  You don't see every veterinarian every day and I must say I have probably only met half.  It is a crazy environment but it works well...these guys take one weekend every 2 months and are on call one day a month after hours- WOW can you imagine??? That is definitely one perk! The numbers of cows out here is also astounding. Most dairys in the area range from 800-3000 cows!! And don't let the advertisements fool you they are not on pasture.  They are conventional dairies just like everywhere else.  At least I haven't found the "happy" cows on green lush pastures they may be in other parts of California.  That said the cows here are taken care of wonderfully and the industry out here does a really good job.  I have learned a good deal of dairy medicine as I have been here and have found it is not something I want to do all day every day.  I really enjoy sick cow work but maybe I am not cut out to palpate hundreds of cows a day :) Which is ok I love the idea of varying the work I do every day!!  I have found that I love this area. The valley is very similar to NC, at least in regards to the people I have met and the area.
Last week there were two students from Iowa here and we hit it off great.  We had a great time, even finding a nearby gym and working out in the evenings (though we have not lifted weights since our arms are so beat up by the end of the day).  Thursday evening Jenna came into town.  It has been nice to have a familiar face and good to have some friend time because fourth year has really put a crimp in seeing each other often.  Fourth year is funny that way- you get really close with who you are on for 2 weeks then you get ripped apart and work with other students and teachers for 2 weeks.  It has been an adjustment.  I head home Saturday and though I have learned a great deal I am ready to head home!

No comments:

Post a Comment