Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Snowmass

Hello everyone welcome to my blog. This blog will follow mine and Justin's adventures.  I am a fourth  year veterinary student and Justin works in research at UNC-CH. We love to travel so hopefully many of these posts will be about our travels!

Skiing was always something that I didn't associate with fun. After a bad experience when I was in the 5th grade I never really took to it.  Doesn't help that I am not very good at picking up new things.  When I met Justin he talked about going on his annual ski trip with his parents. The first year we dated I didn't go and then last year his family took a break from their trip because they were renovating their house. This year it was go time.  We booked tickets back in the Summer and since then I had anxiety attacks about skiing.  The first day I fell multiple times going down the mountain from our apartment to the the lift. That day I also got a little excited turning and ended up going backwards...panicked....and feel on my bindings- yea I cried like a little girl. Lets just say I haven't had that bad of a bruise in a LONG time. The next day Justin decided it would be a good idea to go to Buttermilk. It is the mountain where the Winter X-games are held.  It also has over 40% greens! Yay..perfect for me! I ended up almost going all the way to the top and only falling 3 times on the way down.  Then I took a break at the top after lunch and everyone else did a run without me.  After that I did another run and only fell once, but it was my ski poles fault so it really wasn't a fall!  The next day was a break day for all of us. We went to Aspen and walked around.  The slopes there were no place for me, they don't even have ONE green! We got a walking pass up to the top of Aspen and ate lunch up there.  It was gorgeous!  The shops in Aspen were very ritzy, but we had a good time window shopping.  The next day I decided that I was too sore to ski. Justin's Mom Terri took my day and skied and I took the day off.  I sent Opa a post card and posted pictures. I needed that day.  The last day I skied like a pro!  The first run was great and I didn't fall at all. I was then convinced to go to the top of the mountain and ride down.  The runs were VERY hard (for me) but I made it and didn't fall at all!!! I even did a blue.  Big thanks to my Mom who re-taught me how to ski and Justin and his Mom and Dad for their patience with my slow skiing.  I'm sad to say it's over it was a great trip!

Note...Pictures aren't working at the moment hopefully I'll be able to add them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment