Saturday, March 30, 2013

Overcoming fears

So Somer and Steve introduced us to rock climbing probably 6-8 months ago. Steve had gotten Somer interested and it was their activity together....but they were always looking for people to go with them. After they took us the first time Justin and I realized that we actually liked it a lot. You could say they got us hooked. Justin got a climbing harness then found shoes at the REI garage sale. I was still bumming off Somer and Steve until Christmas when they gave me my own harness I was sooooo excited :) (thanks again guys!). In November the climbing gym we had been going to closed its doors. We went to the other climbing gym in town - triangle rock club and are not immediately impressed. Their routes were totally on top of one another and they were wicked hard. But after we got used to it we have grown to love it. Still when it gets packed it is a bit frustrating at times to get on a wall but we try and make the most out of those days. Climbing for Justin and I has really given us a fun activity to do together...I still haven't convinced him that riding is much fun as i think it is and I'm not as convinced skiing is as fun as he thinks it is. That whole story being said mom has heard about us climbing for a while now and wants to see us in action. She came up Friday and we went to the gym. Justin convinced her that you can't go and not climb so after watching we she put on my harness and shoes and gave it a go...she was a champ!!! She actually enjoyed herself and was very brave with the height. I'm glad we got her in the wall. I am also afraid of heights but learning to trust your body and of course the person belaying you is a great exercise. Here are some pictures of our night.











1 comment: