Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Piggy Camp




Last week I took a mini externship and took a trip to PA.  A fourth year student got me in contact with this opportunity and I made my way up there. A veterinarian from NC Dr. Kristie Mazacchio specialize sin pot bellied pigs and makes a trip up to Ross Mill Farm frequently.

 Ross Mill Farm is a sanctuary for pot bellied pigs. They also are the starters of PPN- Pig Placement Network. They are a matchmaking service for pigs that need adoption and owners that want to adopt a pig across the country. It is a great place that does great things for pigs.  Over the 5 days I learned routine pot bellied pig work, and also what equipment I would need for working on them. It was so much fun!  Here are some pictures from my week!
This is Susan the sanctuary's owner with Louise the "teacup" pig. Yes he was marketed as a teacup when he was born. People- there is NO SUCH THING as a teacup pig. They all get to be 60-120 lbs as an adult. BUYER BEWARE!!!
This shows the layout of the barn. They have a space inside where they can nest and make their bed.  They also have a doggie door where they can go outside into a run.
Such a cutie!


No comments:

Post a Comment