Friday, April 3, 2015

Chickens

We have Chickens now! As some of you know my wedding present from Justin was a chicken coop. Since we moved I had always told him I wanted chickens. He told me he really didn't want them so I agreed (reluctantly) to be ok with not having chickens.  Low and behold on our wedding day I got what I wanted :)
This was my face in response to him wrapping it in a USPS express mail envelope.....very Justin.
(photo cred- Vesic Photography)

"OHH I get a chicken coop! WOW!"
(photo cred- Vesic Photography)

Since October I have been anxiously awaiting chickens. When I did research I noted that many chickens stop laying in the winter. Well I didn't want to get them and then feed them all winter and not get eggs so we deiceded to wait until the spring. 


Last weekend we pulled the chicken wire for their pen. We wanted them to free-roam but not bother any neighbors.




Then this weekend we got the chickens. I found young pullets that had just started laying in Winston.  Justin agreed to get up early on his day off and go get them with me. We squeezed in an awesome breakfast with Nana, Papa, and D'Neil then went to get our chickens.


Copper rode in the back and kept them company (really he just shook and whined all excited-like the WHOLE TIME!) 


Here are our beautiful hens- meet Ginger, Cherry, Caramel (and the last one doesn't have a name yet)





No comments:

Post a Comment